Most of the time, algae are seen as a persistent problem when they start growing in your spa or pool and very soon quickly spreading over. You must do something to stop them from destroying your pool.
Therefore, along with pool skimmers and brushes, algaecides is the third important cleaning chemicals (and tools) you need to prepare for your pool.
Algaecides for spas and pools are widely used to eliminate not only algae but also tiny plant-like
organisms developing in your swimming pool.
That said, it’s not easy to decide which algaecide would be the best fit unless you know what type of algae you are dealing with.
So, before you hit off the market, let’s dig into some basic knowledge and check out our review on the best pool algaecide.
Read more: How to choose the best pool skimmer?
- Best Pool Algaecides Reviews 2020
- 1. Clorox Pool & Spa Green Algae Eliminator, 1-Quart 42032CLX
- 2. Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart
- 3. SeaKlear 90-Day Algae Prevention & Remover, 1 Qt
- 4. In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide – 1 Quart
- 5. PoolRx Algaecide Unit, 7500 to 20000 Gallon
- 6. 2 PACK – United Chemical No Mor Problems 1qt NMP-C12
- Getting Know About Pool Algaecide
- Learning About Pool Algaecide and the way it works?
- Shopping for Algaecide – Tips need to know
- Best Time And Method To Add Algaecide?
- Our highly recommend is…
Best Pool Algaecides Reviews 2020
Here is the best seller pool algaecide in 2020, save it on your list! A recent survey has listed top 6 algaecides favored by consumers based on popular use, brands, and specific features. You can count on this below list for your reference next time you shop.
|Clorox Pool & Spa Green Algae||Non-foaming formula|
Effective kill and preventative treatment
Suitable for all pools
|Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa|| Safe with all pool and filter types|
Helps clarify pool water
Long lasting algaecide
Non- foaming algaecide
|SeaKlear 90-Day Algae Prevention|| Reliable & Effective|
90-days no algae guarantee (when used according to instructions in balanced pool water)
11.8% Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate; 3% Copper as elemental
|In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide||Contains 23.5% Copper Triethanolamine Complex (7.1% chelated copper) as the active ingredient|
Treatment Dosage: 4 oz. per 10,000 gallons. NOT recommended for use in well water
|PoolRx Algaecide Unit||Simply place in pump basket or skimmer basket|
Eliminates all types of Algae
Effective for up to 6 months
|2 PACK - United Chemical No Mor Problems 1qt NMP-C12|| United Chemical No Mor Problems 1qt NMP-C12|
A preventative algicide
1. Clorox Pool & Spa Green Algae Eliminator, 1-Quart 42032CLX
Clorox Pool and Spa Green Algae Eliminator is an instant-effective product that kills and prevents common green algae from growing in your pool.
Non-foaming formula feature is added to this product can effectively eliminate and deter algae from reoccurring in every type of pools, including saltwater pools.
This results in a clear-water pool when this product is used frequently as part of your periodical pool maintenance activity.
This algaecide is ideal since it is not necessary to use every day; a weekly dose is enough to prevent green algae from developing in your pool.
This is not only time-saving but also money-saving as you only have to buy a small quantity compared to daily-use algaecides. For the best result, cleanse your pool surface weekly.
Then 1.5 fl oz per 10K gallons is added after partial drain, frequent backwash, or heavy rain.
- Terminate green algae
- Stop reoccurring
- Weekly use
- Suitable for any types of pool
- Non-foaming formula
- Additional preventive algaecide is suggested
2. Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart
Kem-Tek Pool and Spa 60% Concentrated Algaecide is one of the best-rated pool algaecides for a green pool removing all types of algae and deterring the recurrence after use.
It comes in a non-foaming formula that is safe for your pool without any damage. There is 60% algaecide concentration that gives you the water cleanliness you have always desired.
Another great feature of this product is that it lasts longer than other algaecides as it doesn’t disperse immediately into the water.
This feature also makes it perfect for preventing the repetitive coming of algae.
A strong plus point added to this product is that it also terminates other organisms in your pool, leaving it free of any contamination.
It also works to saltwater pools and is quite affordable.
- Long-lasting product
- Amazing for prevention and treatment
- Create crystal-clear water
- Friendly for all pools and filters
- Non-foaming product
- Pools cannot be used right after applying the product
3. SeaKlear 90-Day Algae Prevention & Remover, 1 Qt
SeaKlear 90 days Algae Prevention and Remover can be considered as one of the top rated pool algaecides available on the market today.
It is a concentrated product that terminates and deters the algae from growing in your pool.
One thing you would love about SeaKlear is it guarantees a 90 days algae-free swimming pool. It removes and prevents all types of algae, including the blue-green algae, yellow algae, black algae, and more.
As what a top algaecide must have, it is a non-foaming and non-staining product according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
The product contains about 11.8% copper sulfate pentahydrate as well as 3% copper as elemental. What an effective and reliable product for pools and spas, now you can have safe and clear water the way you wanted.
With this product, you can say no to algae for good.
- Remove to all types of algae
- Quite effective
- Deters the growth of algae
- A 90 days algae-free guarantee
- Non-foaming, non-staining product
- Doesn’t last long
4. In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide – 1 Quart
In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide is a powerful copper-based product that comes highly concentrated in 15 doses, enough to use in one quarter.
Due to its high concentration, this algaecide is easy to measure in small doses but still effective far more than most of its competitors.
All type of algae can be terminated without having to worry about the insight and troubled foams caused by other algaecides.
This product’s strength is that it’s a safe, effective, and reliable algaecide that terminate and deters algae from rehappening in your pool and keeps the water clean and enticing.
The product comes in various quantities for different needs, which means you can still get a clean, algae-free swimming pool without worrying about straining your finances.
The first-use dosage recommended for this product is 4 ounces per 10K gallons while the maintenance dosage is only 2 ounces per 10K gallons, making it a very cost-saving product.
- Strongly effective to most algae
- Powerful elimination ability
- Safe for instant use of pool after using this product
- Non-foaming formula
- Perfect fit for spring pool opening
- Not the cheapest, pocket-friendly product
5. PoolRx Algaecide Unit, 7500 to 20000 Gallon
PoolRX Algaecide Unit is packed in 4 individual units, with every unit eligible for a 7.5-20K gallons swimming pool.
It is pretty easy to use a product that offers low chemical demand to better your pool’s water and it lasts for about 6 months.
Effective for above ground pool, a great-proportion of minerals are added to the product that impressively and continuously removes algae from your pool.
For the best result, you need to choose the right size product for your unit.
This full of the mineral formulation is included in this treated alloy product that dissolves in water then form an invisible shield that could last up for 6 months.
The minerals deter algae while releasing chlorine productively and actively in the pool.
- Last up to six months
- Releasing chlorine to be more active
- Ideal for above ground swimming pools
- Diffuse easily in water
- Stronger in the prevention aspect
6. 2 PACK – United Chemical No Mor Problems 1qt NMP-C12
2 Pack – United Chemical No Mor Problems is a product that no more additional works added to your periodical cleansing to your swimming pool.
The no-more-problems are a patented formula reserved as an E.P.A algaecide. After 3 decades of field research, it was invented and has become among the best preventative algaecides available.
This product provides extraordinary water clarity the same as a sparkling pool, yet it is not a polymer.
The algaecide significantly reduces the frequent wash of your swimming pool filters, yet it is not considered as a filter aid.
It makes your pool’s water so clear that no floating substances can be visible from the surface.
What’s great is that this product can go perfectly with any sanitizers, including salt systems, ionization, and biguanides.
- Applicable all types of pools
- Leaves super clear water
- No more shocking and brushing required
- Clean the filter
- Use in combination with all sanitizers
- Strong chemical
Getting Know About Pool Algaecide
Ever since pools became a part of the household facility, scientists together with chemists have worked on solving these strains. Then, they figured out a solution to detect all algae problems, called algaecide.
Basically, algaecide is known as a chemical treatment killing and preventing algae growth. This product is quite effective because it’s immune to mineral content, pH, sunlight, and water temperature.
Learning About Pool Algaecide and the way it works?
There are 4 types of pool algae known to science. Except for the red algae, the rest 3 are commonly seen:
Green Algae – Known as blue-green algae, is the most common kind and all it takes is warmth, water, and sunlight to grow.
Yellow Algae – This is another form of blue-green algae colored with yellow carotenoids. These chlorine-resistant algae can grow without sunlight.
Black Algae – This is a strain of green algae that favor plaster pools, where it can put down roots. It is protected by a thick multilayer cover from chlorine and most of the algaecides.
Red Algae – Known as pink slime or pink algae, it is a different type of bacteria that are chlorine-resistant and light-free survival.
Algaecides play an essential role in maintaining your swimming pool safe from algae.
It can either be seen as algaecide to kill tiny, single blooms or as algae-stat to stop and handle pool algae development.
Different algaecides mean there are different ways to control algae:
Quat Pool Algaecides – Usually called Quaternary Ammonium compounds – general detergents; that’s why overuse of this product might lead to some foaming in your pool.
Microbial disinfectants found in this product are normally attached to the unfavorably charged part of algae. The outside cover of the algae will be destroyed and penetrated by chlorine.
They come from 10 to 50% strengths or concentrations and quite pocket-saving.
Polymer Pool Algaecides – Polyquat elements in this algaecide with long chains of carbon, which are benefited from both staining-free and non-foaming substances.
Just like Quat Pool Algaecides, this product has a positive charge attaching to a negatively charged algae, rapidly expand over the organism then smoothen its cell.
These products are two times effective than the Quat, long-lasting and more expensive. Popular for four-seasons pools, polymers come in 30-60% concentrations.
Metallic Pool Algaecides – This consists of copper ions which have been used in centuries for water treatment.
Amino acids are bonded or chelated by the cooper to minimize any possible stains from continuous use, which is sometimes seen mainly as a problem for plaster pools.
Like other two algaecides, these products positively charge and attach to the algae, weaken it for chlorine to penetrate. It is recommended to treat green and black algae 7% concentrations.
Shopping for Algaecide – Tips need to know
There are dozens of options available on the market, so it is not easy to pick which one for the best. Therefore, the following factors should be put under consideration before you make the decision:
Factors should be concerns are:
- The color of Algae: First, notice the color of the algae in your water. Different brands are designed to treat different types of algae. Find the brand that supplies to your algae color.
- Bacteria: If you find your pool covered with pink or red algae, it means that bacteria are involved. Find an algaecide to kill the bacteria first and remove them out of your pool.
- Pool Friendly Algaecide: You should make sure you are buying a pool-friendly product. Hence, check the label carefully before purchasing to see if it is friendly to the pool.
- Long Lasting: You may want to buy an algaecide that protects your pool in a long time.
There are products which just last for just a few days and waste a lot of your money if you buy them. On another side, some products may offer a 90-day protection.
- Top Performer: You don’t want to buy a product that takes weeks to do the job. Go for a product that offers instant effectiveness.
- Stain Removing: Always look for the stain-removing feature when purchasing your algaecide. There are some products adding stains to your pool when using them. So, keep an eye on that to avoid them.
- Non-Foaming: Another factor to put under concerns is whether the product is foaming or foaming-free. Non-foaming brands are recommended because your pool can be used immediately.
- Clarifying Brand: We all prefer a crystal-clear water. Thus, you should pick a product cleaning your pool and making it clear. This feature is available on lots of brands.
- Cost: It is not a guarantee that you will get the best algaecide if it is expensive. Do some initial research for brand value, specific features and review before spending your money.
Best Time And Method To Add Algaecide?
To deal with algae in your swimming pool, you need to increase its chlorine content. Sometimes, however, all you can do is algaecide. You can following the below guide to conduct this portion of your pool care regime.
- Step 1: Your pool’s mechanics should be in good working order. Make sure of this before adjusting the pH level if necessary prior to the treatment process.
- Step 2: Extra chlorinate your water, let sit from 24 to 48 hours. When it’s back to normal levels, you can start treating your pool with algaecide
- Step 3: Follow the package directions for algaecide use. Algaecide calculator can be used as instructed in the Resources section below.
- Step 4: Leave your pool to absorb the product overnight and then suck all dead algae next thing in the morning.
- Step 5: Check the pool’s pH level and then adjust the chlorination level if necessary.
- Step 6: Polyquat algae concentration and/or a copper chelate solution can be optionally added to your pool, depending on your preference and your pool’s needs.
The chemicals used in most pool algaecides are at a low enough concentration to allow you to swim immediately after cleansing. A few minutes or even an hour wait long is recommended.
However, it allows the algaecide to disperse thoroughly and throughout the pool, especially when applying copper-based algaecides.
It is needed if you are worried about possible hair color changing.
You are recommended to wait at least 15 minutes before diving into your pool after using the algaecide to your pool, although most of them are considered safe to swim with.
Our highly recommend is…
Algae, once found in your pool should be terminated immediately to avoid any contamination caused by algae in your swimming pool. In order to do so, you need to figure out what is the best pool algaecide for your pool.
As the above-mentioned products, United Chemical No Mor Problems 1qt NMP-C12 might be excellent choices for your pool as it kills green algae, prevents algae from reoccurring, fit any pool needs and doesn’t produce foam. If you find them helpful, give us a thumb up and leave a comment below!